- Dishrack Adjuster Kit
CustomerMike from WA
Support posts for three of four wheels on the top rack had snapped off. Wheels were loose and not working properly. Cheap plastic construction was to blame.
Screwdriver, double square driver head
Repair & Advice
Kitchen Aid dishwasher was about 1.5 years old. Top rack, which gets a lot of use, was coming off of the rails. Checked out the problem and discovered that 3 of 4 wheels on the rack were wobbly. Upon further inspection, noted that the plastic posts, which are part of the rack adjuster kit, were snapped off. These posts hold the wheels in place. Most likely cause was repeated shock from quickly pulling out the top rack. Ordered the replacement kit, which I noticed was now partly made of metal, where the wheels were anchored to the adjustment plate. Good idea! Durable, especially when teenagers are slamming the top rack back to load dishes. Replacement kit arrived promptly, within 2-3 days. Unfortunately, the instructions are almost worthless, especially the dark and confusing pictures. In addition, the screws used to hold the unit in place have either a double square head or a Torx head (I forget now), and there was no driver bit included to accommodate these wonky screw types. What's wrong with a Phillips head? Be aware that you'll need to have this special driver head to install the screws. Bad user experience! Also, due to the poor instructions, you'll have to figure out how the replacement part fits together. Fortunately, it's a fairly simple operation and not many parts. TIP: Only take apart one side at a time so you can see how the new part is supposed to work, using the old side as an example. It's not a 1-1 match from old to new part. There are differences in how the new part works, but it's basically the same idea. I spent some time pre-assembling the new part in place (without the wonky screws) so I could see how it was supposed to be assembled. It too me about 20 minutes total time to make the replacement. No real technical skills needed. Fortunately I had the correct driver head for the screws. New part makes a huge difference. Top rack works great. Much more stable and top rack now works like it should.