Removing drain pump part number W10536347 is a simple task. When this pump fails, the washer will display “LD” on the display which means “Long Drain”. This pump can be found on Whirlpool Cabrio, Maytag Bravos, and Kenmore Oasis model washing machines. The pump can fail if something gets stuck in the pump (coin, clothing item, ect), and sometimes you can get lucky and just remove the object that was stuck in the pump. Other times the pump can break, so make sure so inspect the pump before putting it back in the washer.
How to the remove the drain pump:
- Unplug the washer
- Next, you will need to remove any water still in the washer (use a wetvac, bucket, towels, ect to do this)
- Turn off the water supply going to the washer & disconnect the hot & cold fill hoses to the washer
- Remove the drain hose from the wall or drain tub
- Tape the lid shut (so the lid doesn’t pop open)
- Carefully lay the washer down on its front side (place some towels or rugs on the floor to protect the washer).
- Note: On the bottom side of the washer, the drain pump is the larger of the two pumps (the recirculation pump is the smaller one).
- Remove the drain hose (discharge hose) from the pump. Loose then clamp and pull off the hose. Note there is a notch in the hose to line up when you put the hose back on.
- Remove the inlet hose to the pump. Loosen the clamp and remove the hose from the pump.
- Open the end cover on the pump and remove the wire connector.
- Remove the three 5/16″ screws securing the pump.
- The pump should now be free. Check to see if anything is caught in the impeller. If you notice any damage, or the pump still does not work then you will need to replace the drain pump assembly.
- Re-install in the reverse order. NOTE: The new pump includes a shield cover that goes between the pump and tub of the washer to protect the pump from any moisture falling onto it.
If you have any questions please post them in the comments section below.
If you need to purchase a new drain pump for your washer, visit our store by clicking the link below: